links, commentary, toons, pics, fun!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

welcome

Jay Thomas is the newest addition to this email thingy... Welcome and feel free to chime in anytime Jay. He pointed me toward this article about "Mudcat" Saunders, which is worth checking out.


Did anyone see Recount last night? Unfortunately I don't have HBO, but it sounds like it's worth seeing. (In the preview Laura Dern looks awesome as Katherine Harris) I believe they're rerunning it tonight.


Obama, at Ted Kennedy's request, filled in for the ailing Senator in giving the Wesleyan commencement address:

"This event is a symbolic passing of the torch of Democratic liberalism from Ted Kennedy to Barack Obama," Professor Pitney said. "It's a happy coincidence of being gallant and politically smart. He's filling in for an ailing friend and at the same time doing a world of political good. Moments like that are rare."

Genevieve Angelson, 22, who affixed felt letters that read "Obama '08" onto her red graduation gown, said Mr. Obama's address was one of the most inspiring she had heard.

"It made me feel like we have never been asked to do anything, and the fact that he asked us was appropriately overdue," Ms. Angelson said.

While Ms. Angelson said she was ecstatic to hear Mr. Obama speak, she was saddened as to why.

"I regret that something so wonderful for us came out of something so sad," Ms. Angelson said.

(pics and vid here)



I found this bit from this article about Obama's security team amusing:

Just a breath away from being crowned the likely Democratic nominee for president, Obama seems fatalistic about the dangers that come with the job.

"I made a decision to get into this race. I think anybody who decides to run for president recognises that there are some risks involved, just like there are risks in anything," he said.

On a recent campaign stop in Dallas, Obama's car sped past the infamous landmark where Lee Harvey Oswald fired the fatal shot in 1963 that struck President Kennedy.

Cloistered in his motorcade, his Secret Service agents around him, the Kennedy assassination was the last thing on Obama's mind.

"I've got to admit, that's not what I was thinking about," he said. "I was thinking about how I was starting to get a head cold and needed to make sure that I cleared up my nose before I got to the arena."


Team Obama


Ok, Paul Krugman just made it onto my list of people to no longer take seriously- in this column he judges Obama for things his supporters have said, while holding Clinton responsible for, well, nothing. Go keep Sean Wilentz company Paul.

And speaking of dishonest Clinton supporters, this takedown of a Jerome Armstrong post is worth checking out, and this follow up is hilarious.


Finally, I'd never seen this quote before, but it's a gem:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy: that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

No comments:

Followers